Introduction for Developers
Better CMS is a publishing-focused, developer-friendly, open-source .NET CMS developed by Devbridge Group.
Why Should I Use It?
If you are a web developer working on an ASP.NET MVC website and:
- you're looking for an easily extendable, lightweight, and intuitive platform
- you're not willing to compromise flexibility of design and UX
- you want images and files to be stored on FTP / AmazonS3 / Windows Azure
- you're looking for an easy way to manage SEO
- you need role management for content editing
Where Can I find it?
The latest builds of Better CMS can be found at http://nuget.org/packages/BetterCMS/ or [http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/bettercms.aspx] (Windows Web App Gallery).
Which browsers are supported?
Better CMS supports all mainstream browsers:
- Chrome (13+)
- Firefox (11+)
- IE (9+)
- Opera (15+)
- Safari (5.1+)
What about server-side requirements?
Software requirements to run the website with Better CMS:
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and higher
- Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 5 and higher
- One of the following databases (multiple db schemas are required):
- Microsoft SQL Azure
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or later
Technically, it is possible to support PostgreSQL 8.2 or later and Oracle9i or later but currently not tested.
Where to start?
The best way to get started is to check out this intro article.